Wednesday, March 02, 2005

-----
I think it would be nice to dedicate this weeks postings to my mum.
I got a lot of old slides from my parents last summer, so here we have her on one of Denmark's many ferries sometime in the fifties (the kid is not me)

My father was a dedicated amateur photographer which explains the relatively early use of color-photography which must have been expensive at that time.

The other ferry in the background could suggest my mum is on her way to Sweden.
There was a line going between Helsingør (Denmark) and Helsingborg (Sweden)
and this was a very popular line because you could buy customs free alcohol, tobacco and sweets as long as the ferry was at sea (the trip only lasted about 30 minutes)

Many people (like my grandmother) would sit in the ferry's cafeteria and do the trip several times while drinking coffee and occationally going off to buy something, my mother's brother also worked there as a waiter.
-----

No comments: