Monday, September 18, 2006

-----


Kids in America.

When I was a teenager I lived in a small town (approx. 5,000 inhabitants)
I lived in a part of town which consisted mainly of summer cottages. I lived by a dirt road, and street lights were not installed until years after I left.

So things were quiet, and being an only child provided me with plenty of solitude too. My parents often found me crouching over my table assembling plastic models, reading comic books, or making drawings myself.
But don't get me wrong: I had plenty of friends at school, but to be honest; I actually liked being alone from time to time.

But then I became a teenager, and teenagers want fun and action! And this summer (1981) the radio waves were filled with the sounds of Kids in America, by Kim Wilde
So one night during my summer holidays I felt the need to GET OUT, and being an inventive kid, I tied my trusted Phillips cassette radio to the back of my bicycle, turned it on, pushed in the cassette with my recordings from the national, commercial free, Danish Radio and went downtown, blasting "Kids in America" into the warm July air! (I sometimes recorded my favourite song several times so I could hear it over and over again without rewinding the tape)

Riding this radical new invention of the portable party-zone, I rode around town for a couple of hours, going up and down the streets, passing seemingly endless rows of houses, going by the places where some of my classmates lived.

And not meeting a single soul.

no one.

So I went home, snuck past my sleeping parents, sat at my table and created an unhealthy and politically un-correct depiction of women and men involved in a disturbing meeting between sex and violence, which, after the addition of my name, the date, and the exact time of day it was created, I did put in a secret place, already holding numerous creations of the same foul nature.

Warm July air, the black sky, the smell of sea water (I lived by a fjord) the smell of the crops in the fields (ripe), that warm night (humid, I lived by that fjord, remember?), that warm July air.

Nothing, nobody.

Kids in America, playing from a cassette player, tied with string to the back of a bicycle.

nobody listening.

Kids in America,
they could drive cars from the age of sixteen,

You can put speakers and a complete Hi-Fi into a car,
You can bring friends in a car,
You can have sex in a car,

Kids in America.

A few years later, I bought a moped and a Walkman.

-----
Podcast, Wind in the willows
~~~~~
Retro babe
Panzer Jagdpanthers, destroyed during Battle of the Bulge
-----
Not my people
Not my war

No comments: