Tuesday, March 20, 2007

-----


My first recollection of seeing a movie stands clearly in my memory. I was four or five years old and living with my parents in the Copenhagen suburb of Hvidovre. I remember entering the living room, my parents look at me and smile, my dad says something I can't remember because my attention is focused on a box with light emerging from it, the TV.
And something is happening inside the light box: Horses running side by side, they are racing, and some people talking when suddenly a sort of tarpaulin comes crashing down, covering them.

For many years I wanted to find out what is was I had been watching back then. Eventually, using my strong deductive talents (just one of the many positive traits of my character, others are: Humorous, romantic, brainy and in possession of not a small talent for cooking) I came to the conclusion that it had to be A day at the Races by the Marx brothers since scenes like those I remembered appear in the movie and Danish TV aired a lot of Marx brothers films in the seventies.
They have since vanished from the screen, maybe due to something about licensing fees or perhaps they just went out of fashion.

(roll of drums)
-----
What's up at YouTube: A day at the Races
~~~~~
Retro babe
Panzer Panther, Ausf G
A group of Russian soldiers examining an abandoned Panther during the Battle of Berlin, spring 1945. Note the complete set of flame damping exhaust covers (visible next to the "balkenkreuz", the black cross national marking painted at the rear end of the panzer)
-----
Not my people
Not my war