Thursday, May 08, 2008

-----

What's happening down there? those people should be at work...I'd better give them the "I'll cut your wages" sign...

May 8, VE- day (Victory in Europe) today, the official end of WWII in Europe.

As I mentioned yesterday the German Army Command had already signed the documents of surrender on May 7 at General Eisenhower's headquarters in Reims, France (Eisenhower was the supreme commander of the Western allied forces)

Since the only representative of the Soviet Army to witness and co-sign the document was General Ivan Susloparov, the Russians had called for a second signing to be held the following day in Berlin where Marshall Zhukov and other high ranking Soviet commanders could attend.

In Britain, prime minister Winston Churchill, who had become the personification of steadfast resistance to Nazi Germany to both the British and many Europeans made a broadcast on BBC radio announcing the victory and later appeared in front of jubilant crowds which had gathered in central London.
-----
/////
~~~~~
Retro babe"...sorry, Madame, the General has gone back to Duisburg so you'll have to find some new clientele..."
^^^^^^
Panzer Pzkpfw I, Ausf A
A rare colour slide of Panzer I and II's during the invasion of Poland, 1939.
-----
(unfortunately) Also my people
(regrettably) Also my war

No comments: