Tuesday, September 02, 2008

-----


"A38"

I left home twenty years ago.

Spring had arrived, and I felt it was time to move on.

I moved in with my friends Jens (man of NSOP) and Folke, who shared an apartment in the building you see in the photo - Frederiksborgvej 38A.

I only lived there for a month or two, then I moved in with another buddy of mine - Mads, who lived in Copenhagen. Eventually we ALL went to live in a collective called Skodborg.

"A38" - Was how we referred to the place, a pun on the address and the name of a diet yoghurt which was called A38.

I spent some important formative years hanging out there, meeting people, getting drunk and high and most important: Listened to records. This was during a transitional period after I've finished high school and didn't really know what to do.

When I first started hanging out there, about two years earlier, I still lived with my parents which meant taking a ten mile bicycle ride to get there. Still, I was young and eager to live and for me trotting a two-wheeler has always been a combination of necessity and pleasure. I remember riding home in the moonlight one winter's night after dropping acid. I rode besides the fjord some of the time, the fields all naked and snow covered, shimmering in nature's own electric blue.

Good times we had - Getting high and digging the music of Bowie, Beatles, Lou Reed , Velvet Underground, Tom Waits (MY discovery...) and there was even time to be budding artistes...

but what about getting a job - or an education, Lennard?!?!..

Oh, yeah...but this was the eighties, you see...all of that was canceled out by the recession,

You had to make up your own life.

(Pan to living room, Iggy Pop's "Lust for life" playing on a REGA planar turntable through a Nikko amplifier...somebody asks me if I want to smoke. I do)

-----
/////
~~~~~
Retro babe"...nah, forget about sex, honey - Let's drink tea and listen to records instead...."
******
Panzer Sdkfz 231 Fu (8 rad)
Photographed during the invasion of Russia, 1941. Note the Soviet T26s tank.
^^^^^^

No comments: