Monday, February 22, 2010

-----


It's late autumn, 1979.

I'm standing on Vesterport station in Copenhagen. I've drifted off into my own world and my dad is telling me to hurry up because our train has arrived and we can't miss it.

I'm thirteen years old.

I've just had an epiphany.

I've just seen the movie Apocalyse Now

at the big Palads Cinema Copenhagen, right next to Vesterport Station.

mind blowing.

At thirteen, I suppose you're just waiting for your mind to be blown by something.

For most people it's losing their virginity, or the first time getting drunk or stoned (in my generation, probably all three put together)

For me it was that movie.

I came out of the theatre thinking : I WANT TO MAKE SOMETHING LIKE THAT!

Well, it's a long time ago now and I never did become a film maker, but somehow that experience was part of my decision to become an artist, and I'm still waving that flag. Even if the wind died down and I lost the pole.

All-rightie, Lennard...another stroll down memory lane - so what's your favourite scene then?... the helicopter attack?..(giggle!)

yeah, yeah...but it's not the action...the moving camera...the use of Wagner... it's the part in the beginning of the attack where we cut from the inside of the Colonel's command helicopter to down on the ground, with the Vietnamnese about to be attacked.
It's very quiet down here (contrasting with the cacophonic noise inside the helicopter) ...you can hear the "choppers" approaching, and a female Vietcong in full uniform is ordering a female schoolteacher dressed in the traditional white long shirt of the vietnamnese to get the school children out of the little school house.

You've seen what's coming: Colonel Kilgore and his merry pranksters of death...and now you see where they're going: A humble hut with women, delicate like flowers, and sweet little school children.

You know it's going to get ugly from there, and you know damn well where to put your symphaties.

What a story teller, Coppola...what a romantic...what an Italian!

Many years later I saw the documentary "Hearts of Darkness" where Coppola predicts the video revolution of fifteen years later, with websites like YouTube : The great hope

yes,

what an artist:

Francis Ford Coppola

Maybe I should buy some of your wine and drink to you one day.

But I was never really into that type of thing.

******
Panzer Pzkpfw V "Panther", Ausf D
Looks like a parade is about to take place at a tank production facility. Note the row of dark grey Panzer III's behind the dark yellow Panther, suggesting the photo was taken in early spring 1943 before the first Panthers were delivered to frontline units.

^^^^^^

1 comment:

Kamil Feliks said...

There is one more thing suggesting that period.. All crews and personel are wearing Feldmütze M34/M38/M42 side caps, without visors (whitch was typical for M43 Feldmutze).
BTW, commander's cuppola and small side hatch on turret denotes early D version.

And yes, helicopter attack is most memorable part of Coppola's Apocalypse Now, but scene with damaged UH-1 on the woods is one of the best too.
V/r
~kamil