Monday, November 05, 2012

-----

A drawing of mine, ca. 1980.

I remember that day well. I was in the sixth, seventh, or maybe eight grade? My school class and I were visiting the Copenhagen ZOO (animal zoo...) and I remember thinking: "I'd like to walk around the Zoo by myself..." I can't remember much else, except for this desire to be alone and not with my classmates. I wanted to be with my thoughts instead.
I reunited with them later, just in time to que up for the bus "where have you been, we all wondered where you were?" a girl from my class asked, "oh, I just wanted to walk around by myself"  I answered, realising nobody seemed to have had a problem with that. Least of all me.

*****
Panzer: Sdkfz 251/1, Ausf B
Serving with the Afrika Korps. Note the goggles worn by most of the crew for protection against sand and the swastika flag draped over the engine compartment for air recognition.
-----

No comments: