Monday, August 26, 2013

-----


Oh, that bewitching Japanese box art...

And there I was:  nine or ten years old, pocket money in hand... my weekly allowance just enough to buy me only ONE of these amazing creations from beautiful Fujimi plastic model company...(costing 10 Danish kroners , ca. £ 1 back in ye mid-seventies),  but there were SO MANY that I wanted...

Well...I had to make a choice...and went for the gasmask-wearing SS troopers, machine guns and flamethrowers blasting against a blood red sky...

And the model inside the box? yeah, it was alright,...but the real treat were those paintings...that use of typography, the overall design, the shiny surface of the cardboard box.

Ach....so young, and already so lost. 

*****
Panzer: Sdkfz 251/10
A group of Wehrmacht troops hitching a ride, probably in Normandy summer 1944 where Allied air-superiority demanded the use of heavy foliage on German vehicles if they were to move by daylight, and survive!
On close observation it is revealed that this 251/10 is a bit out of the ordinary...having had its original Pak 36 gun removed and replaced by the rare Schwere Panzerbüchse 41, a light anti-tank weapon using the radical Gerlich principle where the gun has a tapered barrel and fires a tungsten core projectile.
-----

3 comments:

Sean L said...

For me it was Airfix Afrikacorps figures and Matchbox multi color armor kits. Good times the mid-70s early 80s. Growing up does in some ways get me down.

lennard grahn said...

Agree, mid-70-80s was a golden age :-) ..think I had the Airfix Afrikacorps too, were they 1/32 scale?

if you like to meet other survivors from the 70's modeling bonanza, this might be a place for you :
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/

ste said...

my model collection from the 1970's was bizarre. I didn't understand 'scale'. Bought all sizes and I cannot remember me ever questioning why a Spitfire was as large as a Lancaster !.... Happy days.